I don’t think it’s a secret that I LOVE arugula (see my arugula salad with roasted chick peas here or my arugula and truffle pizza here). I’ll eat it in anything, and if there’s an opportunity to use it in a recipe, I will jump at that opportunity. So when I was browsing through my Cooking with Nonna cookbook one night and saw Rossella’s prosciutto and fennel arugula salad, I felt that it was created just for me. I knew I had to make it.
I made it for lunch one day, and all I can say is WOW! It was so, so delicious. One of the best salads I’ve ever had, no joke. If I’m going to eat just a salad for lunch, it has to be hearty and fill me up, and this recipe definitely does that. The saltiness of the prosciutto pairs so well with the arugula and I love the fresh and distinct flavor of the fennel. The cannellini beans, almonds and tomatoes add the perfect touches to round off the dish.
This is a salad I will definitely be making again (and believe me, I don’t say that often about many salads!).
The recipe is below. Enjoy!
Prosciutto and Fennel Arugula Salad
- 7 cups baby arugula
- 1 can (425g) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bulb of fennel trimmed, cored and very thinly sliced
- ½ cup pitted Gaeta olives or Kalamata
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ounces prosciutto di Parma sliced and torn apart into small pieces by hand
- ½ cup sliced unblanched almonds
- ¼ cup shaved parmigiano Reggiano
Add the arugula, beans, fennel, olives, tomatoes, onion, olive oil and vinegar to a large bowl and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
Top with prosciutto, almonds and parmigiano. Serve and enjoy!