Lucy is one of the best bakers I know. From peach cookies to biscotti to éclairs, she does it all. She’s my best friend’s mom so naturally, I was exposed to her marvelous baking as we were growing up.
Out of all her yummy desserts, her chocolate caramel thumbprint cookies are probably one of my favourites, although it really is hard to pick just one!
In all the years I’ve been eating these cookies, I’ve never actually made them myself. So one day recently I finally asked Lucy for the recipe. I made them for my friends as we were stuffing my wedding invite envelopes and everyone loved them!
A hit for sure, but given Lucy’s track record on baking, was there ever any doubt?
Here’s a picture of Lucy and I (recipe below):
Lucy’s Chocolate Caramel Thumbprint Cookies
1 cup butter at room temperature
1 1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs – separated into yolks and whites
4 tbsp milk
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2/3 cups cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
18 caramels ( I used these)
3 tbsp. whipping cream
Chopped nuts or coconut flakes (optional)
- In an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together until smooth. Add egg yolks, milk and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to egg mixture in the electric mixer. Mix until well combined. The consistency of the dough is still a little sticky at this point, but don’t worry, it will be going into the fridge to harden.
- Take dough out of electric mixer and form two balls. Wrap the balls in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for one hour.
- Once out of the fridge, cut each ball on half again and make 7 balls.
- Roll each ball in beaten egg whites and then chopped nuts or coconut.
- Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and make an indentation in each ball.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Take cookies out of oven to cool. At this point, you will most likely have to make the indentation again, as it will not be as prominent once take out of the oven.
- While cookies are cooling, make your caramel. Melt whip cream and caramels together. Then pour the caramel sauce into the cookies.