OK, I know this is the second Valentine’s-day themed cookie to make an appearance on the blog this year (see the first Valentine’s cookie here). But I mean, look at these cookies. How can you not feature them for Valentine’s day?
Choosing to make these cookies was easy. I’m a big fan of ANYTHING strawberry-jam filled (think this crostata, classic birds nest cookies etc).
In my opinion, they key to a good jam-filled cookie is using high quality jam. I love this one by Casa Giulia. It doesn’t seem to be as sweet as most jams, and the flavor is incredible. If you live in Vancouver, you can get it at most Italian grocery stores (Cioffi’s definitely has it) or online here.
Plus I just love how these cookies look! So pretty and perfect to share with your loved one(s) on Valentine’s day.
Do you have any Valentine’s day baking plans? Let me know in the comments below!
Linzer Cookies with Italian Jam
Recipe adapted from Canadian Living Magazine
Makes 7-10 cookies
1 cup salted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Italian strawberry jam (I used this one)
Extra flour to roll out the dough
Extra icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325°F. In stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat together butter, icing sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. This may take a bit – at least 3 minutes. Stir in flour until just combined. At this point, a ball of dough will begin to form.
- Roll dough with your hands into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in fridge for at least 30 minutes. This will allow the dough to harden so it’s easier to roll out.
- Roll out dough with a rolling pin, adding extra flour to your rolling surface and rolling pin if dough begins to stick. Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Using 3 inch circle cookie cutter, cut out circle shapes, rerolling and cutting scraps.
- Using 1 1/2 inch heart cookie cutter, cut out heart in center of half of the circle cookies.
- Arrange whole and cutout cookies on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake on top and bottom racks, rotating and switching pans halfway through, until edges are light golden, about 20 minutes.
- Remove cookies from the oven and let them cool.
- Spread jam over bottom of each whole cookie. Dust icing sugar over cutout cookies. Place on cookie with jam filling, sugar side up.
- Enjoy your Valentine’s day cookies!